Natural COVID Treatments: Cronyism Stands In The Way
We need your help to get this message out far and wide.
Sending this article to five people you know would do a tremendous service and help get everyone’s, including the government’s, attention. Please help us.
Action Alert! Write to Congress and the National Institutes of Health, demanding further study on promising natural treatments for COVID-19. Please send your message immediately.
Over the last few weeks, we’ve been reporting on promising natural options for preventing and treating COVID-19 infection. Based on conversations with highly credentialed scientists, we believe that there are natural products that could be further developed to provide a complete cure for many diseases, including viruses, killer viruses, cancers, and even heart disease. The problem is that because these products are natural, they are not readily patentable, and not being readily patentable, nobody will fund the billions of dollars required for research and especially for FDA approval. We must demand that the government change the rules so that the research and approval process no longer costs billions.
There are currently more than one thousand clinical trials listed on the government’s website looking at COVID-19; of those, there are only a small handful of trials assessing the efficacy of natural medicines for COVID-19. Many of these trials are poorly designed, with intravenous vitamin C (IVC) being the perfect example. There are a number of trials looking at IVC for COVID-19, but the doses are generally far too small, well below the doses that have been given to cancer patients (which can be up to 100g infusions, compared to some trials giving just 1.5g). High doses are required to achieve peak blood levels to generate hydrogen peroxide which, even in small amounts, can inactivate coronaviruses. Although reports indicate that these lower doses of IVC help patients get out of intensive care units sooner, there was no proven effect on mortality. To save lives adequate levels of IVC should be properly studied as a COVID-19 treatment. This is just one example among many.
Most promising treatments are not being studied at all and have little chance of attracting the necessary attention and funding with the billion dollar FDA approval process standing in the way. Here are a few key examples of items that have tremendous potential but are being ignored by Pharma and its allies in government:
- Potassium appears to be another key nutrient implicated in COVID-19 cases. Preliminary data show that COVID-19 patients exhibit hypokalemia (low potassium in the blood) and that potassium supplementation assisted recovery. Note that a national survey of 16,444 Americans found that 100% were not getting the estimated average requirement (EAR) of potassium (EAR is the intake level for a nutrient at which the needs of 50 percent of the population will be met). This critical nutrient could be saving lives right now, but the government is only focused on pharmaceutical interventions that can make drug companies rich.
- There is promising initial data regarding zinc, quercetin, and epigallocatechin-gallate (EGCG). High concentrations of zinc inside cells inhibit the replication of RNA viruses such as COVID-19, but due to zinc’s other characteristics, cells do not typically tolerate high levels of this mineral. Quercetin and EGCG enhance the entry of zinc into cells, much like the drug chloroquine (which when studied in combination with zinc) proved useful while when studied alone did not). Unlike chloroquine, quercetin and EGCG do not have dangerous or potentially even fatal side-effects. Note too that quercetin itself has anti-viral properties. There have already been animal trials on the zinc/quercetin combination for use against Ebola and SARS-CoV1, and human clinical trials have been approved by the FDA. There is only one small trial in Turkey that is looking at quercetin, but without zinc. Some researchers believe that zinc in general is one of the most important things we can take both to avoid Covid-19 infection and treat it.
- Oregano oil and monolaurin are candidates to target the viral capsule of coronaviruses. Monolaurin is being studied in the Philippines, but is ignored by the US government.
- Silver, particularly nebulized silver, also has potential as an anti-viral or to prevent follow up bacterial infections. Crucially, evidence shows that silver hydrosol may be effective against certain strains of coronavirus like SARS. Silver also shows promise against other viruses like HIV and herpes. Meanwhile both the FDA and the FTC are refusing to allow any claims for silver at all.
- Vitamin D is a key immune system regulator. People with especially low D are more vulnerable to Covid-19. Research has also shown that low vitamin D is linked with worse COVID-19 outcomes. Our government should be getting this information out to everyone, but refusing even to discuss it.
These are just a few of the many promising natural therapies suggested by integrative medicine circles for COVID-19 treatment. You can consult our previous articles for more information. Here are some further examples:
- Data show that dietary selenium is linked with COVID-19 outcomes: a study found that patients in areas with high levels of selenium were more likely to recover from the virus, while places with lower selenium intake had a death rate five times higher.
- Many supplements (curcumin, resveratrol, luteolin etc.) are candidates to help control the cytokine storm that may kill Covid-19 patients but are not being tested for this use.
- Viruses cloak themselves from the immune system using a substance called nagalase. Some supplements, especially probiotics, are candidates to help control nagalase but are also unlikely to be tested for this use.
- Other supplements, like the herb Andrographis paniculate, are candidates to interfere with enzymes needed by the virus to reproduce but are also unlikely ever to be tested for this use.
- Drugs like proton pump inhibitors can increase the likelihood of serious infection with COVID-19. Shouldn’t millions of users be told?
Our COVID-411 page also has a list of other supplements that may be helpful for prevention or treatment, including melatonin, NAC, beta glucans, garlic, and vitamin A.
Our government now touts a drug, remdesivir, as the new “standard of care,” the mortality rate of which is not statistically different from placebo. Why? Because it is a new drug that can make a fortune for the pharmaceutical manufacturer? None of the natural treatments listed above can be easily patented, so no company can afford to pay for FDA approval. As the economy reels from the escalating costs of this pandemic, how can we continue to focus primarily on expensive drugs and ignore affordable micronutrients that show such promise?
Our government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic is a case-study in crony capitalist medicine. We need thorough studies on these promising natural treatments to assess their viability for COVID-19, and it must happen now.
We need your help to get this message out far and wide. Sending this article to five people you know would do a tremendous service and help get the government’s attention. Please help us.
Action Alert! Write to Congress and the National Institutes of Health, demanding further study on promising natural treatments for COVID-19. Please click here to send your message immediately.
The Alliance for Natural Health USA (ANH-USA) is the largest organization in the US and abroad working to protect your right to utilize safe, effective, and inexpensive healing therapies based on high-tech testing, diet, supplements, and lifestyle changes. They believe a system that is single-mindedly focused on “treating” sick people with expensive drugs, rather than maintaining healthy people, is neither practical nor economically sustainable.